- Prof Richard Gerraty
- Dr Bernard Infeld
- Mr Nicholas Hall
- Mr Patrick Chan
- A/Prof Yi Yang
- Mr Michael Johnson
- A/Prof Augusto Gonzalvo
- A/Prof Pramit Phal
- Comprehensive inpatient neurosciences services including neurology, neurosurgery and orthopaedic spinal surgery are offered at Epworth Richmond, Epworth Eastern and Epworth Geelong with outpatient and consultative services at Epworth Camberwell and Epworth Freemasons.
- A collection of our surgeons are experts in deep brain stimulation to modulate tremor in Parkinson’s disease. Wires are inserted in the deep brain nuclei to provide targeted stimulation. This technique is very successful for the treatment of Parkinson’s tremors.
- The Epworth Richmond hybrid biplane theatre combines advanced, high-precision imaging technology with a fully equipped surgical suite, allowing surgeons to perform minimally invasive procedures that result in safer, faster and more efficient treatment of serious heart, stroke and neurological conditions.
The members of the Neurosciences Clinical Institute attend quarterly audits on review of inpatient care with review of the systems and processes to improve patient outcomes. A number of subspecialty meetings are regularly scheduled to ensure best practice care is provided. The spinal surgery committee is involved in review of patients’ outcomes and complications to ensure that excellent patient care is provided to all patients undergoing spinal surgery.
A panel of experts come together for the complex spinal surgery meeting, which undertakes discussions on the best approaches for complex cases. The Neurosciences tumour multidisciplinary team includes neurosurgeons, oncologists, neuro-oncologist, radiation oncologists and neurologists. This team meets fortnightly to plan treatment for patients with brain and spinal tumours.
Doctors are required to undertake a rigorous accreditation process and ongoing performance review. For cases where complications do arise, appropriate investigations are undertaken. Epworth staff embrace new therapies and techniques in the treatment of neurological and neurosurgical conditions and continue to be involved in world class research projects.
- Acute head injuries and acquired brain injury
- Brain tumours
- Cerebral aneurysms
- Cervical and lumbar disc degeneration/herniation and complex spinal surgery
- Dementia and cognitive disorders
- Guillian Barre syndrome and other acute peripheral neuropathies
- Infective and auto immune encephalitis
- Migraine and cluster headaches
- Motor neurone disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Muscular dystrophy and inflammatory myopathies
- Para neoplastic neurological complications
- Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders
- Spinal tumour surgery
- Spinal deformity and scoliosis surgery (adult and paediatric)
- Spinal fractures
- Spinal infections
- Stroke and transient ischaemic attacks (TIA)
- Complex spinal surgery, including scoliosis surgery
- Brain and spinal tumour surgery, neuro oncology and immunotherapy
- Multidisciplinary approaches to advanced treatments for Parkinson’s disease, including surgical interventions for enteral levodopa/carbidopa gel (Duodopa®) pumps and deep brain stimulation surgery
- Specialised stroke services, including thrombolysis and Stroke Unit care at Epworth Richmond and Epworth Geelong.
- Rapid TIA inpatient assessment at Epworth Eastern Box Hill (Phone 1800 792 778 for 24 hour access)
- Specialised immunotherapy therapy for Multiple Sclerosis
- Inpatient therapy for complex headache management
- Neurodiagnostic services (Nerve conduction studies and EEG) at Epworth Richmond and Epworth Geelong
- Specialised neurological rehabilitation at Epworth Richmond, Epworth Camberwell, Epworth Brighton and Epworth Geelong