In this section:
To make Epworth a great place for our patients and workforce it is important that our employees are engaged and empowered.
Why choose Epworth
At Epworth, we care. We care about our patients and about our people. We care about career development and progression and nurturing potential. We care about innovating; staying ahead of the field. And we care about giving all our people the support and flexibility they need to thrive in our growing, fast-paced and ever-changing organisation.
Top 5 reasons to join Epworth:
- We are Victoria’s largest not for profit private hospital group.
- We are renowned for excellence in diagnosis, treatment, care and rehabilitation.
- We embrace the latest in evidence-based medicine to pioneer treatments and services to patients.
- We care for our patients throughout their lifespan across more than 40 specialty areas.
- We invest all surplus funds into services.
Creating a career as a graduate
As a recent or soon-to-be graduate, you may know exactly where you want your career to go, or you might still be exploring the possibilities. Choosing to work with Victoria’s largest not for profit hospital group provides you with endless opportunity to define your career. Working with Epworth you can transition to high levels of independence and strive for excellence in your clinical practice.
Nine out of ten graduate nurses continue working with Epworth once they’ve completed their graduate programs. We put this down to the support, work experience and education you receive as part of the program.
Focusing on acute care and rehabilitation, you’ll find yourself experiencing:
- An extensive orientation to set you up for success
- Various rotations across your 12-month program
- A structured and challenging clinical learning environment that’s supportive and filled with variety
- A structured theory component including five development days to share learnings
- Additional education programs including in-services, workshops, seminars and clinical simulations
- Ongoing collaboration with education and clinical staff to help shape your experience
- A sense of belonging through collegiality and shared values
Key dates for you to know
Applications are currently closed. Keep dropping by to check on any updates as they come through.
Some general information around the dates:
- Open Days – Due to COVID-19 and social distancing we will be holding an number of virtual information sessions showcasing Epworth. This is a great opportunity to gain additional insight and information into the specific programs. Dates will be released soon.
- Graduate Program Application and Interview – Applications open for all 2021 Registered Nurse and Midwifery Graduate Programs on 13 July and close 5 August 2020 and will be posted to Epworth’s Careers Portal. Interviews for positions will take place in August. Due to COVID-19 and social distancing, interviews will be virtual.
Applications for the 2021 Enrolled Nurse Graduate Program will open in November.
- Graduate Program Intake – these differ across the year depending on the program and the site. During the interview process, you will be given a preference of program commencement.
Locations where you will be
Graduate Nurse Programs:
Enrolled Nurse Program:
- Endorsed Nurse: Epworth Geelong, Epworth Eastern, Epworth Freemasons, Epworth Richmond, Rehabilitation (Epworth Brighton, Epworth Hawthorn, Epworth Richmond, Epworth Camberwell).
Registered Nurse Program:
- Registered Nurse: Epworth Geelong, Epworth Eastern, Epworth Freemasons, Epworth Richmond, Rehabilitation (Epworth Brighton, Epworth Hawthorn, Epworth Richmond, Epworth Camberwell), Epworth Clinic (Epworth Camberwell).
- Mental Health Nurse: Epworth Clinic (Epworth Camberwell).
- Registered Midwife: Epworth Freemasons.
Specialty Nurse Program:
- Perioperative Nurse: Epworth Geelong, Epworth Richmond.
- Midwifery: Epworth Freemasons.
During the application process, you can identify the location where you’d liked to be placed and we’ll make every effort to accommodate your preference.
How to see if you’re eligible
Currently all Epworth Sites, except Epworth Geelong, use the Graduate Computer Match Service meaning that you have to be eligible to participate in this process. For more information on eligibility, please visit the Post Graduate Medical Council of Victoria (PMCV).
How you can applyApplications are to be submitted through the Graduate Computer Match Service and also directly to the advert found on Epworth’s Careers Portal. When intake is open, you can find more information about how to apply on this page.
How long are the programs?
Epworth Graduate Nurse Programs are 12 months.
What support is available?
You’ll have access to a designated onsite graduate coordinator who you will meet during the matching process. They’ll be available to answer most of your questions and can connect you in with other people across Epworth. There are also educators, preceptors and clinical coaches to coach and guide you throughout your program.
What are the working hours?
In the graduate programs you’ll be employed on a part-time basis working a across a variety of shifts including day, evening, weekend and night duty. Specialty nurse programs are full time.
Do you offer ongoing professional development?
Once you’ve finished your program, the world is your oyster. If you choose to work with Epworth, in collaboration with major universities, there’s an extensive range of post-graduate and research opportunities available.
If you’re uncertain of your career direction, take advantage of the Introduction to Specialty Practice program, Enrolled Nurse short course or Perioperative Introductory Program where you’ll have your clinical knowledge developed, skills and assessments enhanced and improve your clinical decision making. Epworth also runs a multitude of seminars and workshops to continually progress your skills and knowledge of areas of interest.
How do I continue to work with Epworth following the completion of my program?
We hope that you will want to continue working with us when you finish your program. Toward the end of the program, there’s a re-employment process you can enter though we encourage you to mention your intentions to your Graduate Coordinator sooner rather than later. We’ll be very happy to have an ongoing conversation with you and assist in exploring your options and opportunities.
Do I need to have completed a placement with Epworth to apply?
Not at all. Applications are welcome from all students.