Vision and mission
The E.J. Whitten Foundation and Epworth HealthCare partnership brings together two of the biggest players in prostate cancer and urological research.
We share a vision to find and implement new clinical treatments for men with prostate cancer.
Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in Australia, representing 33% of cancers in men and accounting for around 20,000 new cases diagnosed per year.
The E.J. Whitten Foundation Prostate Cancer Research Centre at Epworth explores better diagnosis and treatment options, giving patients the opportunity to be part of studies that may extend their lives. It also enables researchers and physicians to apply a tailored approach to the disease, so patients receive targeted treatments for better outcomes.
Led by Epworth Urologist Associate Professor Nathan Lawrentschuk, the dedicated centre team consists of medical practitioners, research fellows and nurses.
The centre has a particular interest in the diagnosis and imaging of prostate cancer and is looking to clinical trials offering suitable patients an aggressive treatment combining the surgical removal of cancer affected lymph nodes, targeted radiotherapy treatment and focal therapies such as irreversible electroporation (IRE or NanoKnife™)
About E.J. Whitten Foundation
The E.J. Whitten Foundation was established in late 1995 in memory of the great E.J. Whitten, an iconic Australian Rules Footballer who transcended sport to become one of the most recognisable Australian personalities. E.J. used his high profile to give a public voice to prostate cancer awareness.
The E.J. Whitten Foundation carries on his legacy with a vision to inspire men to take charge of their health and to save lives.
- Director Epworth Urologist Associate Professor Nathan Lawrentschuk MBBS, FRACP (Uro), PhD
- Research Program Manager, Thilakavathi Chengodu
- Clinical Research Co-ordinator, David Zhang
Located at Freemasons Hospital, 124 Grey St, the team works across all Epworth Hospitals spanning the eastern suburbs to Geelong.
Affiliated Surgeons and Doctors:
- Associate Professor Shankar Siva (Radiation Oncologist)
- Professor Mark Frydenburg (Urologist)
- Associate Professor Laurence Harewood (Urologist)
- Associate Professor Ben Tran (Urologist)
- Professor Declan Murphy (Urologist)
- Associate Professor Arun Azad (Medical Oncologist)
Example research studies currently open
- SIMCAP - a study in collaboration with Dedicated Comprehensive Cancer centre in the USA comparing the current standard of care treatment of men with metastatic disease to surgery and standard of care therapy
- IRONMAN - International Registry for Men with Advanced Prostate Cancer
- Current Clinical Trials
For further information:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 9426 6666